A full day program open to everyone about water as a lead up to the UN Water Conference 2023 in NYC March 22-24th, a mid-term review of the objectives of “Water for Sustainable Development (2018-2028) hosted by Tajikistan and the Netherlands. A Delegation from the Netherlands will gather with Philadelphians at the Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center to affirm the central role water plays in sustainable development. Speakers, guided history tours, informal conversations and serious game playing will celebrate water, public engagement, place-based education and the conservation of historic and cultural sites associated with water.
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION - 10:00 - 10:45
Introduction to water, water heritage sites and sustainability.
- Glen Abrams (Deputy Commissioner for Public Affairs PWD)
- Karen Young (Executive Director)
- Joanne Dahme (Trustee Fund for the Water Works)
Content Introduction: Why are we here?
- Ellen Schultz (Director of Strategic Partnerships and Place-based education and Port City Futures)
- Carola Hein (UNESCO Chair Water, Ports and Historic Cities)
- Matteo d’Agostino (TU Delft, PortCityFutures)
- Carlien Donkor (TU Delft, PortCityFutures)
- Queenie Lin (TU Delft, PortCityFutures)
- Hilde Sennema (TU Delft, PortCityFutures)
WATER WORKS AT FAIRMOUNT -- HISTORY TALK AND Q&A - 10:45 - 11:30
- Adam Levine and Len Pundt (Philadelphia Water Department Historian and FWWIC Researcher)
PHILADELPHIA'S WATERFRONTS - 11:30 - 12:00
- Harris Steinberg (Executive Director, The Lindy Institute for Urban Innovation, Drexel U)
- Delaware Waterfront
CAPACITY BUILDING- 12:00 - 12:30
- Eriberto Eulisse, Wamu-Net
- Karl Matthias Wantzen, UNESCO Chair River Culture
LUNCH AND TOURS - 12:30 - 14:00
Guided tours around the waterworks and the Schuykill canal system exhibition by the curator, Sandy Sorlien.
SERIOUS GAMES - 14:00 - 16:30
Game playing with a ticket system: 3 serious games
- Water Values
- Schuykill Saved
- Aqua Marooned
CONCLUSION- 16:30 - 17:00
Concluding remarks and invitation to join NY Water Week
- Ellen Schultz
- Water Values (Carola Hein, UNESCO Chair Water, Ports, and Historic Cities)
UNESCO Chair Water, Ports, Historic Cities;
Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Centre.